Monday 15 May 2017

English v French hundred Years War

Hello, long time since I had the chance to play DBA and even longer since I had the time to sit and witter on about it.

I guess as a refresher for the upcoming PAWS on June 24th, Anthony and I  were able to  shuffle some of his lovely new figures around the table. And I do mean shuffle; even with the new movement rates, caution and cohesion was the order of the day ( at least for me!).

Anthony chose the terrain and I chose the board edge, wedging my English troops between bad going and rough going to cover my flanks.

And here's our English.. We're so confident we are not even watching the enemy behind us!





Starting positions. The French commander realised we are not coming out. If they want us out of France then they'll have to move us ! 




The first few turns see the French advance..

 

As the French knights  move towards the woods, (I presumed to flank us,) bows are sent  to keep them busy whilst we seat our flank on the wood edge and set out our  line at an angle to  make use of the hamlet on our right. Alas, for the French, they realise that for some strange reason they are not permitted to dismount and storm the woods as they had intended and thus withdraw.



Merde! I heard them cry as they withdrew. So they sent in  a  formation of  what looked like halberdiers backed up by light troops. Alas! The light troops were not able to support them against the English bows..



Having sharp steel besides their yew, the English archers were quick to assault the foolhardy french and deal them, a rough blow.





In the centre, the French suffered at the hands of the  English knights on foot and the battle was soon over 4:0. 

So we switched sides  to give my opponent a fair chance..

Setting up,  my opponent decided to  more or less copy the English's previous tactic. Naturally , I dismounted my French knights.. The french are to the right and the English on the left



Throwing my french knights into the woods against the english bows, I hoped to have a slight advantage and turn their flank. Meanwhile, back in the centre a confusing melee developed with neither side managing to break through.

It was at this point, seeing some 'english-like' shields facing him, my opponent declared his shooting against the rear of his own infantry, who had their shields slung over their backs. Never wanting to interrupt an enemy while he's making a mistake I rolled for the hapless knights. Fortunately, for my opponent I threw a '5' saving the poor chaps from an ignominious end. From now own my opponent  (having justly earned the title)  shall be known as Anthony 'Friendly Fire' H. !







With the flank slowly turning, at 1-0 and the shock of friendly fire, my opponent conceded the battle. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment